With Halloween approaching us, I’m sure many of you are considering either going as a vampire from Twilight with honey-coloured hazel eyes, going to dawn black eyes as a demon from Supernatural or just going to look nice and weird as anything – with contact lenses to top the look!
Well, I’m here to give you guys some advice on how to care for them, because nobody wants to walk around with an ugly Captain Hook eyepatch after pulling your eye out in your sloshed state at 4 o’clock on the day after Halloween, now do you? Neither do I, because let’s face it – no eyepatch looks sexy with your Jimmy Choos.
So what is it that you need to do? Well, it’s obvious really. If you have never worn contact lenses before it would be best to see your local optometrist and do the full eye examination where you then tell them that you would like to try contact lenses out. The optometrist will then give you a full instruction on how to put them in and take them out safely. Once you have done this and the optometrist is happy that you can do this without hurting yourself, they would normally let you try on a couple of the sample colours they have in the test room to see if you can actually see any of the colours on your eyes and which look nicest. Then, once confident that you are ready, they will give you a bottle of solution (& a holder for the contacts). The best brands on the market (I think) are CyClean, Renu and Complete. They will then order your box of contacts (make sure you do this way in advance of the event) and a couple of days later you will have your contact lenses.
- You DO get contact lenses that show on brown eyes, so don’t think that just because your eyes are brown that you won’t find contacts that would look good on you.
- Colour Contact lenses DO come in scripts, so if your vision isn’t up to scratch, don’t stress! Once you have done the eye test, they can get you contact lenses. Crazy lenses that are in weird colours or shapes (cat eye, swirls, etc) normally aren’t though.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you order contact lenses if you haven’t tested your eyes or done the full instruction. Please be careful as you could seriously damage your eyes – and you only have two!
- DO find a good optometrist that will check your eyes properly. I recommend any good DVN optometrist, they have treated me the best.
- DO have fun! Halloween only comes once a year!