Is wearing high heels bad for us ladies?
According to podiatrists they may look good, but they can cause problems for feet, ankles, legs, hips and the back….
When we wear heels, our centre of gravity shifts forwards to the ball of the foot. The higher the heel, the more the pressure. May cause simple problems like calluses or corns, as well as more serious problems like bunions and nerve conditions called neuromas. The narrower the shoe, the more likely we’ll get blisters and corns.
Because the knee remains in a slightly bent position, which affects the natural curvature of the back, continuous use of high hells could cause knee arthritis as well as chronic hip and/or back pain.
- GET THE BEST POSSIBLE FIT
- WEAR OPEN-TOE SHOES TO AVOID CORNS AND CALLUSES ON THE TOES
- GET SHORT SHOES, WITH A WIDER HEEL
- SWITCH BETWEEN HEIGHTS TO AVOID ACHILLES TENDON/CALF ISSUES
- CUSHIONING IN THE FOREFOOT IS IDEAL.
- Yes, get the size which fits you! Think that is obvious!
- Open toe shoes? Only applies to women who have pedicured toes!
- Shorter heels with a wider heel? What? Am I a nurse? Oh hell no!
- Cushioning in the forefoot area is a must! I recently walked around a mall with heels and I had blisters for Africa! I blamed my fat ass! *tip: keep plasters in your handbag. Also buy little gel cusions for your inner shoes at a pharmacy. They work*
- The podiatrist doesn’t talk about weight. Gosh, if you have fatty feet, squeezing them into a strappy heel is a modern form of torture! Plus the added weight from your ass is just making it worse. So how do we solve the problem? Lose weight! haha
- But, wearing heels also causes your derriere to look HAWT, which may lead to dating! Wow! Dangerous!
- Work out, go for walks, gym or swim. Anything to get good blood circulation to the feet. Wearing heels wont be such a problem if your feet are in tip-top condition. Also, go bare foot when at home.
- Foot massages! Oh heck yes! Need I say more????
- Don’t be silly, don’t go for a walk with super high heels! (Like celebrities do) Proper footwear for proper occasion is key!
- DON’T wear those plastic, trashy, slutty high heels! Esp with a mini skirt. Ugh… That’s classless.
- I’ve learnt.. NOT to shop in heels, its flats for me. “Plakkies” as it’s called in South Africa. Or wedges are perfect for shopping too.
- The expert forgot to mention it can be harmful to attitudes! Many women (snobs) with heels have awful attitudes. (Blame it on the altitude)
- If you’re getting married, having two pairs of shoes is a good idea. The pretty wedding shoes for photos, and the comfortable shoes for the reception.
- Oh, and one last thing… DO NOT TAKE YOUR HIGH HEELS OFF TO DANCE AT A WEDDING OR A PARTY. So not cool! Take an extra pair of extra comfortable shoes just in case you need them!
Hope you enjoyed all the shoe-candy.
So ladies, look after your feet.