Just like in the film My Big Fat Greek Wedding, where the older relative thinks that Windowlene will fix everything, South African’s are no different, with rooibos, but possibly with a bit more science to back up their claims, rooibos will help your problems. We love drinking our rooibos tea, its benefits are widely known and even get some international recognition.
Reasons why we drink rooibos include, but are not limited to:
- It is a refreshing drink.
- It is caffeine free, which means its safe for everyone to drink including children and pregnant ladies.
- It has strong anti-oxidants which protect the body in a number of ways, including fighting free radicals and has very strong anti-inflammatory properties which helps prevent heart disease.
- There are studies that suggest consumption of rooibos tea results in a reduction of cancer causing chemicals.
- It is rich in minerals, like the soil it is grown in. Some of the minerals are magnesium for the immune system; calcium and manganese for healthy teeth and bones; zinc for the metabolism; and iron which is important for helping blood and muscles distribute oxygen.
- It can resolve tummy cramps.
- Protects against Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Encourages a restful sleep.
- Research suggests that drinking rooibos may assist in weight management, as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- It can relieve skin conditions.
So, have you added “DRINK MORE ROOIBOS” to your new years resolutions? Me neither. I don’t believe in resolutions… and I will tea regardless of whether its on a list 😛
Toward the end of the year I received the African Extracts Rooibos Skin Care as a present which is made using rooibos which is grown in the Cederberg mountains. African Extracts is designed by South Africans for South African skin. As rooibos contains a phunylpyretic acid, which helps improve acne, psoriasis and eczema you can actually apply a cooled tea bag to affected areas on the skin for a jump start to soothe and heal any inflammation but if the thought of this sounds a bit dramatic and possibly crazy, the African Extract range is able to address your skin concerns and provide all the benefits of rooibos tea bags on a daily basis in your skin care routine. The powerful antioxidants in all the African Extract products protect you from harsh environmental stress and pollutants.
The soothing cleansing lotion retails for R47.00 and is just that, I used it when my skin was aggravated after being in the sun and on a game drive for a few hours and once I had finished cleansing my skin had calmed down tenfold, and felt refreshed. Continue reading